Gilead is a human kingdom ruled by King Roland and his head advisor, Richard Farraday (now deceased), and was the starting point of the campaign. Gilead, on a world scale, is strong economically but has a somewhat weak military. Gilead’s government is styled so that most cities of the kingdom are on their own regarding internal threats such as demihumans or pirates; the state itself only defends cities against major invasions, like the Erredun army.
Gilead is mostly covered by deciduous forests in the south and plains to the north, as well as a small area covered by pines in the northwest (which has now been ravaged by Alzam’s unfortunate accident). Major towns in Gilead include:
- Orlan: A desolate town in the eastern desert. Nearly its entire populace was killed by Grenarr the giant. The group helped build a cemetery for the dead here. To the west of the town lies a curious, modern, western-style home that contained a variety of futuristic devices.
- Hevels: The town of Hevels is a somewhat uncivil locale. Mercenary warriors, rogues, and assassins basically own the town, and the local lord is given money to turn his eyes from the heinous crimes his mercenaries are sometimes paid to commit. In addition, a large percent of the city is comprised of slums, with a large wealth and property difference between the upper and lower class, and peasants sometimes spend years saving up enough money to kill their mortal enemies, which are often nobles; this leaves the town in a perpetual state of chaos as new nobles come and go sometimes as often as once a week. However, after the defense of the town’s lord by a group of rugged dwarves, the city has enacted new laws at their request to cut down on the murders.
- Eversen: The starting point of the campaign. There’s not much to be said about the town; it’s a tiny, nondescript locale where the group met Farraday.
- Runefax: The extremely religious town where Dominic Falco was born and raised. It’s (in)famous for its harsh treatment of criminals. The continental chapter of the Church of Pelor resides in this town, led by Bishop Ericson, Falco’s mentor.
- Mejis: A prominent harvest town that’s filled with culinary delights the year ‘round. The party encountered Jonas Virdeli here, trying to steal the sacred Mejis Bowl. The hometown of Sarah the ex-prostitute.